After more than a year of study and public comments, the Appalachian Mountain Club has withdrawn a proposal to build a new backcountry hut in Crawford Notch. The proposed hut, to have been called ‘‘Sparkling Cascade,’’ would have been the AMC’s ninth hut, splitting the distance between Zealand Falls and Mizpah Spring Huts, and accommodating up to 50 guests.
- AMC withdraws plan for 50-guest ‘hut’ in Crawford Notch State Park (New Hampshire Union Leader, December 7, 2016)
- Appalachian Mountain Club Withdraws Crawford Notch Hut Proposal (AMC announcement, December 7, 2016)
- Plan to build backwoods hut in White Mountains fuels debate, Boston.com, January 24, 2016
- Controversy Over Whether To Allow A New AMC Hut In Crawford Notch State Park, NH Public Radio, January 19, 2016
- New hikers’ hut in White Mountains deserves approval, The Boston Globe, October 16, 2015
- AMC Original Proposal (2015)